Inevitably, we lose something every time we take a trip. Just last month it was an Apple power cord (left in the hotel room) and Reagan’s brand new jacket (left at the airport); altogether about $100. We count these losses as part of the cost of travel, because what else can you do when calling lost and found doesn’t turn them up? And while it always stings to lose something, I try to remind myself it could be worse.
Like the time Danny left his one-of-a-kind wedding ring which matched my one-of-a-kind wedding ring, both by award-winning jewelry designer, Cornelius Hollander, in a hotel room on one of his many overnight stays away from home as a pilot. We’d only been married a year. The replacement we bought him doesn’t match my ring, and isn’t nearly as valuable – in sentiment or in cost.
Why do I need jewelry insurance?
Had we known then what we know now, we could’ve had Cornelius craft Danny a brand new ring exactly like the one he lost for a mere fraction of what we paid for the original, and even less than what we paid for the replacement. That’s what would’ve been possible had we been carrying Perfect Circle Jewelry Insurance by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company.
Typically for less than the cost of a dinner out, you can insure your valuables each year with Jewelers Mutual against:
- Accidental Loss
- Mysterious Disappearance
Repair or replace without any explanation needed. NONE. Jewelers Mutual will replace the item with an exact duplicate at its full value.
Can’t my homeowner’s insurance do that?
If you’re relying on your home owner’s insurance to do that for you, you might want to read the “contents and additional coverage” section of your policy to ensure that it can. According to Kiplinger’s, “most policies place limits on specific kinds of items — promising to pay a maximum of, say, $1,500 to $2,500 for all of your jewelry in the event of damage or theft.” And, “accidental loss is generally not covered. So if you lose your engagement ring, you’re out of luck.”
Get a Free Quote.
Visit www.insureyourjewelry.com to obtain a free quote using the appraised or suggested value of the jewelry to be insured. While online, apply and purchase a policy in just 10 minutes.
Tips for traveling with jewelry.
Your jewelry is part of you, so leaving it behind may not be an option. Whether you’re a jet-setter or weekend road-tripper, here are some helpful safety tips from your travel-savvy friends at Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company.
- Choose wisely. Pack light and take only the jewelry you’ll wear while traveling and at your destination. The 4-carat diamond ring you save for special occasions? Probably not. The pearls that go with everything? Definitely.
- Make a list. List all the jewelry you’ll take with you. Make two copies. Take one copy with you and store it separately from your jewelry. Leave the other copy at home. Also helpful: take pictures or a video of your jewelry.
- Carry it on. Never put jewelry in checked baggage. Instead, wear it or stow it in your carry on bag. If you wear it, take extra care by slipping a pendant inside a sweater or turning your ring so only the band shows.
- Keep it with you. Put your jewelry in a favorite bag you’ll carry while traveling. Don’t leave your jewelry in an unattended car or suitcase. When checking into your hotel or condo, don’t hand your jewelry bag to hotel staff. Carry it personally.
- Use the safe. Always store jewelry in the in-room safe when you’re not wearing it.
- Insure it. Jewelers Mutual expertly insures your personal jewelry against loss, damage, theft and mysterious disappearance wherever your travels take you, worldwide. So get the right insurance. Then relax, be yourself and have fun.
Enter to WIN a pair of Toby Pomeroy EcoSilver earrings – approx. retail value: $200!
TOBY POMEROY Creates beautiful, practical, and sustainable fine jewelry that supports and promotes the health, beauty and diversity of our planet and its people. Jewelers Mutual has given me the opportunity to giveaway a pair of 38mm reclaimed EcoSilver, wire hand-forged and textured earrings to one lucky reader! Will make the perfect gift for yourself or someone else this Holiday season. Enter below! Giveaway ends 12/16 at 12:00am MST.
BONUS: Enter for another chance to Win these amazing Toby Pomeroy earrings at DenverParent.net!
Disclaimer: Jewelers Mutual treated me to a lovely lunch and sent me home with a nice swag bag for taking time out to learn more about their product.